We hope all of our families are keeping well at this unusual time, and know to contact the College if there is any need for support. As you may have already been informed, Term 2 is expected to run as it has been for the end of Term 1 – that students will continue to work from home (unless they have no one to supervise them), and that teachers will continue to plan for online learning, and the College will continue to provide social and emotional support where required.
As your child is in Year 12, it is important for us to communicate with you regularly to provide any key updates specific to Year 12s. The School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) have stated very clearly that no Year 12 student will be disadvantaged due to COVID-19, and that modifications and special considerations are being made to ensure students can still achieve WACE. Some specific information relating to these considerations are below.
- Externally Set Tasks (EST’s) have been postponed – when we know more about dates of these, we will inform you
- The most recent round of OLNA results will be released early in Term 2, and will therefore be communicated to your child as soon as possible. The School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) are working on a way for Year 12s who have not yet sat their OLNA, or who have not yet passed, to have the opportunity to take their OLNA tests
- Semester 1 ATAR examinations are cancelled, although we expect that there will be a formal examination period at the end of Semester 2, which may be modified depending on advice from SCSA in the upcoming months
- For Year 12s completing VET courses with work based components or practical components, special considerations will be made to ensure that a student can still achieve WACE
- Students that are relying on WACE points from completing work experience can also apply for special considerations – but may be offered online alternatives to complete to gain WACE points. More information regarding this will be shared as we are provided with it
- Course work for classes will continue to be uploaded to Connect by your child’s teachers (www.connect.det.wa.edu.au), with hardcopies being available to collect from the College if internet access is unavailable
- At this point, due to the isolation requirements and government directives, the Senior School Ball is postponed, but we hope that the COVID situation resolves to allow for the planning of the ball to be revisited
- The University of Western Australia (UWA) have recently announced new admission pathways for Year 12 leavers. They have made this change to provide certainty to Year 12 students during the COVID-19 pandemic. UWA will be hosting a webinar from 3.00pm on Tuesday 7 April 2020
- Packages of work for Year 11 & 12 ATAR courses have been added to the Learning at home website today (https://www.education.wa.edu.au/learning-at-home/learning-resources-byyear-level).
We understand how this unprecedented event may be causing stress for your child and yourselves. We hope that this information provides some relief for your family, and we will continue to update you as new information is provided to us. Please be assured that the College will provide support and advice where required to ensure the best outcomes for all students.
Year 12 Coordinator
7 April 2020