At the start of 2013, Coodanup College collaborated with Peel Youth Services to provide a learning program for pregnant and teenage mothers. Parenting commitments and being unable to take their babies to school prevent these students from accessing the curriculum and achieving their potential in a main stream learning environment.
The aim of the program is to address their needs as young parents by re-engaging them with education and learning parenting skills in a safe environment. The program is also open to young mothers outside the target age group if places are available.
The program provides better chances for young teenage mothers and their children to achieve their potential and build a better future. This is specifically through enabling these parents to complete their secondary education.
- Learning positive parenting skills
- Building effective relationship skills
- Building opportunities for economic self-reliance
- Building partnerships between local services
- Develop a network of support and knowledge to prepare them for the birth of their child
- Free crèche facilities available once the child is born so that studies may continue